The Datavyu coding tool is free academic software that is adapting and trying to keep up with changing OS and software updates.
There are a wide variety of video formats, settings, and codecs on the market, all of which can affect video playback. We recommend in-depth testing to ensure that Datavyu plays your specific videos properly in your work environment prior to using it for research. We also recommend that users do not upgrade computers or software in the middle of coding a study with Datavyu.
We are available to provide help and guidance in the use of Datavyu, but we are limited in our ability to troubleshoot or provide fixes for every case due to the myriad of variables affecting video playback.
Development Release: v:1.4.1
- Mac OS X
- Recommended System Requirements: 4GB RAM, 2.3 GHz processor.
- Apple no longer supports QuickTime for Windows.
- Datavyu team is happy to announce a new version that enables video coding and playback on Windows machines.
Stable Release: v:1.3.7
- Mac OS X
- System requirements: At least 1GB RAM, 1.2 GHz processor for Macs.
- Windows 10 users need to download Quicktime version 7.7.6 and can download it here. All other Windows users, please pay careful attention to the Quicktime software requirements detailed in the User Guide.
- All Windows users: Apple has announced that it will no longer support QuickTime for Windows. If your institution removed QuickTime from your Windows machines, you will not be able to code data with Datavyu. Our Datavyu team is working on a long term solution to enable video coding and playback on Windows machines. We apologize for the inconvenience.
We suggest coding with an extended keyboard or a USB numpad to take advantage of Datavyu's Data Viewer Controller. The Controller maps onto the numpad and allows users to navigate swiftly and easily through a data source.
Please feel free to use our coding example to practice coding with a sample video and corresponding spreadsheet. See how to observe specific behaviors and mark them in Datavyu.
For information on how to cite Datavyu, see our FAQs.